Thursday, July 7, 2016

Made it to New Orleans

Mom and I made it safely to Houston yesterday - we made excellent time and Snoopy made his appointment at MINI of the Woodlands. They were very friendly and topped off his fluids and gave him a nice bath. While we waited, Mom and I checked out the latest models on the floor. They had a new JCW hardtop that the sales man said they've had trouble selling because it's a manual. What a shame. If I was looking for a new car - I just paid Snoopy off about 2 weeks ago - that would be my dream car. So pretty. So much power.

We met up with other motorists from Houston and parts west in the morning to head towards Louisiana. It was a long day on the road but was rewarded with some tasty libations at the Abita Brewery & Tap room. I found out that in addition their beers, they also make sodas, so I had to try their root beer. It was excellent and it was interesting to learn that they have a hard root beer too. I've never seen it so I had to have a sample before the tour started.



Mom and I headed across Lake Pontchartrain into New Orleans to check into our hotel. While the Holiday Inn in Houston was new and very nice, the InterContinental near the French Quarter is very swanky. The staff went above and beyond to answer our questions and help get us arranged for the morning, since we're leaving so early. And I got a great deal on the room, so even better!

We made our way to the Garden District because I couldn't come to New Orleans and not go to District Donuts. I've only been stalking them on Instagram and drooling over the donuts every day for the last few months. They also serve sliders, so we got a couple of burgers and waffle fries to go with our donuts. On the way there, we walked past the house featured in American Horror Story - Coven, so I can officially say I went sight-seeing in New Orleans. 

We going to Cafe Du Monde for the practically mandatory chicory coffee and beignets early in the morning to beat the crowd and meet up with the rest of the group. Then we're on to Atlanta where the real adventure begins!

Bridges crossed:
Over the Sabine into Louisiana
Over Lake Charles
Baton Rouge, over the Mississippi
Lake Pontchartrain Causeway

No comments:

Post a Comment